Friday, August 22, 2008

Cheeeeese

On Wednesday, I went to a class about cheese. I had no idea there was so much to learn about. Generally, cheese comes in soft, semi-soft, hard, and blue. The blue cheeses stand on their own because there is usually some penicillian or something like that added to it to help it bloom. The weirdest thing I learned...some cheeses are bathed in urine. Unfortunately, I don't know what ones those are. My favorite cheeses that I tried were the Israeli Brie cheese and the Pecorino Romano (spelling???). They were fantastic. I can't wait to go to France!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You don't know which ones! Ack! I do love a good brie. Though I have heard those are pretty rennet heavy and I don't like to think about rennet either...

Dan said...

Where did you take cheese making classes at?

Holly said...

Oh good, you are now in charge of fromage on our trip!