Saturday, September 18, 2010

Food Storage is fun

This summer started with a craft night with my friend where I canned yellow beets and she cut out her quilt. However, my friend wha so fascinated with canning, that she went out the next day and bought 20 lbs of peaches. After that, we bought pickling cucumbers and tried to make cucumbers. Well, by now my canning genes werr in full gear so we went to Yakima to get some cheap produce for canning. Here are the results.


30 lbs of pears.

60 lbs canning tomatoes

green beans, beets, heirloom tomatoes, peaches, apples, and purple peppers. I froze the peaches for later, ate the heirloom tomatoes, apples, and purple peppers, and canned the beets and green beans.


My first night, I canned 12 pints of tomato wedges.


Steve wanted to do the dilled green beans, we got 4 pints.


Steve also made pear halves when I needed a night off.
Other food not pictured include 1 pint pear butter, 6 pints smooth basil marinary sauce, 6 pints chunky marinara sauce, 9 pints of salsa, and 3 pints of baby beets. I am so tired of canning, but it didn't stop me from experimenting with different flavors of gnocchi last night. A friend of mine came over and we made sweet potato sage gnocchi, sun-dried tomato basil garlic gnocchi, and rosemary black pepper gnocchi. All gnocchi is sitting in my freezer waiting for a night when I don't feel like cooking.

3 comments:

Luneray said...

I love pear butter!

Unknown said...

Wow, impressive! I hope we'll be able to do this next year.

Holly said...

Wow, you have been so busy!! I'm impressed you had enough energy to do all that gnocchi. We need to get the recipes from you!